Water and Your Brain’s Effectiveness

Memorise - Memory Power

Our bodies need water in order to survive. We need it to detoxify our systems and we need it to lubricate all parts of our bodies, that includes the brain.

I’m sure you learned in school that more than half of your body is made up of water (newborns are ¾ fluids and ¼ solid body). It is important in plasma, in our skin and body tissues, our cartilage and our cells. They are all guzzlers, and every part of our body requires quenching. You may be surprised to know that the brain is the biggest drinker of all, with almost 85 percent of it made up of water. When your brain is low on fluids it has a bad effect on your memory and other parts of your body.

The majority of this water comes from what we drink, the rest from food and leftover cellular metabolism. We lose 80% of our fluids through our urine, and the remaining 20% from sweating, through the skin or respiratory system.

Water conducts electricity, it is true just as much inside as outside our bodies. Water allows the neuro-transmitters (brain cells) to communicate correctly with each other, and is the driving force for the electrical activity to run smoothly within our brains and throughout our entire bodies. It runs through our veins, arteries, glands and organs as it feeds, pumps, and carries fluids from place to place. It also regulates our body’s temperature.

If we become dehydrated, when our supply of water and fluids is less than our body needs, we are in trouble. Unfortunately, by the time we realize it we are already beginning to dehydrate. A strange side effect of dehydration is that the body will store water in the tissues (fluid retention) so it does not go completely dry.

Many people are in a constant state of dehydration, at least on a small scale. Although they are not in danger of heading for the emergency room just yet, there are signs that should not be ignored, such as:

  • Thirst or dry mouth
  • Dark urine
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Cloudy Thinking
  • Skin Rashes
  • Kidney Pain
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Irritability
  • Fatigue
  • Weight gain and edema

If you eat a lot of salty foods water is drawn out of your tissues (causing them to cramp). Drinking at least 6-8 ounces of water a day is recommended to keep your brain and your cells in good working order. For those who like to drink coffee, you should drink at least one 8-oz. cup of water for every cup of coffee is a zapper. Before you exercise it is also recommended that you drink at least one or two glasses of water prior to beginning due to the amount of fluids you will lose through sweat.

If you don’t like the taste of water, add a couple drops of lemon or lime juice. All fluids will help, but water is best for you, and bottle water is no better for you than tap water (Many bottled water companies actually use tap water and put it in plastic bottles).

This is Ron White, two-time USA Memory Champion , memory training expert, and memory keynote speaker, bringing you another simple tip that will help to keep your memory tip to help your brain and your body stay in the best condition possible.

 Memory Training


Bottom Line.com

You May Also Like
Read More

Brain Foods

Americans, on the whole, do not practice healthy eating. A poor diet not only affects your body, but…