Water, Water Everywhere – But Are You Drinking It?

In school we learned that our body is mostly made up of water. In newborns the ratio is ¾ fluids and ¼ solid. Water is the most important part of our plasma, inside as well as outside the cells. It is essential to keep every part of our body tissues quenched — including our cartilage.

Our brain is our biggest guzzler. Almost 85% of our brain is made up of water. When low on fluids it affects the memory and other brain functions, as well as other parts of the body.

Our bodies need water in order to survive. We need it to detox our systems and lubricate all parts of us. Most of the water in our body is taken from what we drink. The rest comes from food and leftover cellular metabolism. Through urination we lose about 80% of our body fluids, and the other 20% are lost through our skin (by sweating) and through our respiratory system.

Even in elementary school science class we learned that water conducts electricity. Our brains are full of electrical impulses, sending signals through neuroconnections. Water is the driving force for the electrical activity to run smoothly, within our brains and throughout our entire bodies.

Water regulates our body temperature, and courses through our veins, arteries, glands and organs as it feeds, pumps, and carries fluids from place to place.

When our bodies become dehydrated our supply of water and fluids are diminished and we get into trouble. By the time we realize we are in trouble, unfortunately we are already beginning to dehydrate. Strangely, a side effect of dehydration is that the body will not go completely dry and will store water in the tissues (fluid retention).

Many people, on a small scale, are in a constant state of dehydration. They may not be in danger of heading for the emergency room just yet, but there are signs that should not be ignored, such as:

  • Cloudy Thinking
  • Dark urine
  • Thirst or dry mouth
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Kidney Pain
  • Skin Rashes
  • Fatigue
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Irritability
  • Weight gain and edema (water retention)

Salty foods draw water out of our tissues, causing them to cramp. It is recommended that we drink at least 6-8 ounces of water a day. If you drink coffee, drink at least one 8-oz. cup of water for every cup of coffee. Before exercising drink at least one or two glasses of water prior to starting.

Add a couple drops of lemon or lime juice to a glass of water if you don’t like the bland taste. All fluids will help, but water is best for you. Note: Most bottled water has been proven to be from the same water supply as tap water, so there is no need to stock up on bottled water to get your recommended daily dose of water.

 

 

About the author:

Ron White is a two-time U.S.A. Memory Champion and memory training expert. As a memory keynote speaker he travels the world to speak before large groups or small company seminars, demonstrating his memory skills and teaching others how to improve their memory, and how important a good memory is in all phases of your life. His CDs and memory products are also available online at BrainAthlete.com.

 

 

Sources:

Bottom Line.com

0 Shares:
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like